Monday, October 20, 2008

The Hokey Pokey

This summer I happened upon a really neat bumper sticker. By the time I found my camera, the guy had driven off. So no visual, but here’s what I saw: “The Hokey Pokey…What if that’s really what it’s all about?”

With so much seeming hocus pocus surrounding the economic issues of the day - the talking heads, the Fannies and the Freds, the locals and the Feds - it’s apparent some of the ladders we climbed were leaning against the wrong wall. So do we give up climbing? Don’t think so. No matter what mess we’re in now, this sets us up to be so much wiser in the next round.

Ready to push the panic button over your 401(k) or your mortgage crisis? Before you hit that button, please seek good counsel and take it to the Lord in prayer. (Stay tuned to Woman to Woman® in the weeks ahead for this. For now, go back and listen to the calm of Mary Hunt’s voice of experience on living below your means. She could have wiped out when she was over $100,000 in debt, but she turned it around in small, simple ways, as she shares with us.)

The Bible tells us that with Christ, all things are like new. I’m not saying Jesus will kiss it and make it better or turn your Kleenex into fresh dollar bills. I just know from personal experience that waiting on the Lord calms me down and drives me to think more clearly about my dilemma. Gather the data you need to make the wisest decision possible, trust the Lord with the outcome, and take the steps necessary to right the wrongs; that’s a winning combination. So much better than the panic button!

Remember, you’re not in this alone!

No comments: