Thursday, November 26, 2009

Taste and See

There are endless reasons to be thankful if we’ll but watch for them! I can be so focused on one thing to the exclusion of others that I miss the “moment!” My kids help me stay on track. Like this summer when my three daughters and their families came to the Michigan cottage. I arrived a couple of days later and made dinner to give them some time with their little ones on the beach. They’d picked black raspberries, which I put into a pie and served a la mode like my mom used to. We chatted about the good old days and everyone was nicely relaxed after a wonderful day. My youngest daughter suddenly pops up and comes out of the panty with a bakery box. Her two year old in tow, she said, “Mom, I almost forgot. I brought you something from your favorite bakery in Cincy … Bon Bonerie!” Assuming it was one of their incredible cream cakes, I suggested we wait until tomorrow. After all we’re eating warm black raspberry pie a la mode! Oh no, she insisted, these were just sweets they had at the end of the day. She wasn’t even sure what was in the box, but cookies. I half pay attention as I reach up into the box and pull out a cookie with a number eight on it. “Oh, too bad it’s not a number nine, because Emma is nine and could have the first one!” I said cheerily. “Well, grab out another one; you never know. It could be a nine!” Sarah sweetly encouraged. Sure enough, the next cookie was a nine, so I passed it down to Emma, sitting at the end of this table of 12 diners!

I’m still clueless, until Hannah says, “Mom…Maa-aahm!” What was I missing? Oh goodness, Sarah … are you? … is it? … do you? Are you telling me you’re giving us grandchildren numbers eight and nine?” Yes, mom! Hugs galore over this complete and total surprise! Such happy news -- on cookies, no less! I was reminded that evening of the Bible verse from Psalms 34:8 that says, “O taste and see that the Lord is good! Happy is the man who takes refuge in Him!” As we watched the sunset over Lake Michigan out the cottage windows that night, I was filled to overflowing with thankfulness to God for the sweet taste of family gathered from far places, loving one another, forgiving one another, and taking refuge in Him! What a taste of life that is! I savor even the memory of it now!

No comments: