Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Happy

"Mommy, how come you're more happier at the cottage?" That question from my 3-year-old Sarah forced me to ask myself the same question and spend some time figuring it out. I'm really happy to tell you...there's a way to be that – “more happier”, whether you have a cottage or not! This isn't the “Don't worry, be happy” formula, but more about being content in the midst of whatever life is dealing you right now.

I've picked up a few things about how to be happier when I’m unhappy, like choosing to be around people who are cheerful and content, not cranky and whiny, and like dwelling more on the positive than the negative. But there’s so much more to being genuinely happy that I want you to hear about from clinical social worker Leslie Vernick. She has a unique way of explaining how God designed you to be happy, why you need to know that and how you can conquer negative emotions with a few simple choices and some skills, as the Lord gently guides you in the process. Leslie knows life is hard, sometimes really hard, with a few smiles thrown in along the way. She lays out finding happiness in a way that makes sense. It reminds me of the verse from Romans 15:13 – “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Let Leslie help you identify and change habits you probably don't even realize are keeping you from experiencing happiness.

No comments: